- A linear motion track system is a system that allows you to move an application, like a panel or a sliding door, back-and-forth along a rail.
- Advantages offered by linear track motion systems include their lightness, load capacity, corrosion-resistance, and precision movement.
- You can find Accuride linear motion track systems in industries including aviation, medical, logistical, and commercial transportation.
Linear track systems are making a big splash in residential and commercial applications. That’s because linear tracks bring movement to a bevy of creative applications, making environments more space-efficient and easier to handle.
What is a Linear Track System?
A linear motion track system allows you to move an application, like a panel or even a sliding door, back-and-forth along a rail. There are two main components:
- A carriage, also known as a cartridge or cassette
- A track, also known as a rail
In systems like the 115RC, the cartridge uses an innovative design—recirculating ball bearings that offset the weight of an application. This allows a user to slide an application (in the 115RC’s case, one up to 265 lbs.) with ease.
An image of an Accuride 116RC used on a large sliding door inside a hospital. The 116RC linear track system supports such heavy-duty applications thanks to a 793 lb. load rating
A close-up of a 116RC mounted onto a large sliding inside of a children’s hospital. The 116RC requires less than 5 lbs. of pull-force, making it compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Usually, both parts are made from light-weight materials, often aluminum with some use of polymers. These materials are also corrosion-resistant, making them useful for outdoor, moist, and other tough environments. This corrosion-resistance also means there’s little need for maintenance.
Linear track systems also support multiple mounting arrangements, including side-, flat-, and vertical-mounting.
Linear Movement Solutions in Action
Thanks to their lightness, load capacity, corrosion-resistance, and precision movement, you can find linear motion track systems in many industries: aviation, medical, logistical, and commercial transportation are just a few.
Some specific industrial applications include:
- automotive assembly
- tool changer system
- medical sample machines
- food packaging
- parts loaders and unloaders
Linear track systems aren’t just for commercial and industrial use. There’s a burgeoning use for them in homes, especially micro-living spaces. Linear tracks can allow residents to move walls, panels, and certain furniture, creating transformable living spaces.
A Summary of Linear Track Systems’ Benefits
Accuride linear track systems give users many benefits:
- Easy installation
- Low-resistance linear movement
- ADA-compliance (116RC)
- Corrosion-resistant, low-maintenance, light components
- Max load capacities from 265 (115RC) to 793 lbs. (116RC)
For more helpful information on linear motion systems, stay tuned to Accuride.
Accuride in Action: The Wark Group
April 6th, 2020
Accuride in Action: Making the Home of the Future a Reality
April 6th, 2020
How the 116RC is Changing Hospital Sliding Solutions
April 6th, 2020